3/04/2014

Free Crochet Pattern: The Weekend Baby Blanket. A crocheted cotton color-blocked baby blankie that would make a great last-minute gift!

Many thanks to my friend Nadine over at Birdy Boutique Photography for this little snapshot, what a cutie!

First, a little back story about this pattern: I was able to take some time to go visit my family recently and had such a wonderful time. My mother always inspires me to be creative because she is so full of great ideas! Her craft cabinet is in the guest room and when I woke up the first morning I saw this, and  had to stumble around like a zombie to get my camera and snap a picture:


What amazing colors, was the first thing I thought when I opened my eyes. When I was more awake I pulled the yarn out of the cabinet and took a picture so I could remember the scheme and go buy some when I got home.


I just loved those colors and had to make something with them! Long story short mom ended up giving the yarn to me right then and there, and I had my hooks with me (Never leave home without them!), so I just started in on a baby blanket while we were hanging out. I finished the last row at my Stitch 'n Bitch group when I got home, so it really only took two days and would make a great weekend project.


Now, I know the grey yarn is acrylic while the rest are cotton, but Sugar 'n Cream never seems to make good greys. I just went with it and unless the person looking at it knows something about yarn no one will notice because it's made on such a big hook lol. I love this color scheme, but if you're looking for something different I suggest you check out the Color Collective Blog, they have awesome color scheme inspiration! Here's what you need to make your own:

The Weekend Baby Blanket
Finished dimensions: Approx. 30 x 42 inches.
Gauge: 3 stitches and 2 rows per square inch.

Supplies:
6 coordinating colors of  worsted weight yarn. Each stripe takes approx. 60g of standard cotton yarn.
US Size N (10.5 mm) crochet hook.
Yarn needle or small hook for finishing.

Pattern:
Chain 62.
Half Double Crochet in 2nd chain from hook, and HDC in every stitch to the end of the row.
Chain 2, turn.
Repeat for 10 more rows, and change colors.
Work 11 rows of each color this way.
Weave in your ends and you're all done!

12 comments:

  1. thank you for the pattern - looks perfect x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! And I need a last minute gift, so I will be attempting your beautiful blanket. I love your colors!! Thank you for sharing. Inga xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing the pattern. Your blog is beautifull!
    Greetings from Portugal
    Carla Pereira

    http://crochetdacarla.blogspot.pt/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great !

    P.S. Thought i would give a heads up to all who are using the fun sugar n' cream cotton yarn ... it is best to wash it separately as it Really sheds , better yet, wash on delicate or on hand wash and very low dry it shrinks some as well being 100% cotton ... great colors :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a beginner when it comes to crochet. I liked this pattern very much so set out to buy yarn and the crochet hook as I have a great niece due in May. I found the loveliest 100% cotton yarn at a local yarn shop in shades of lavender, white, pale green, pink, yellow and blue. I am crocheting it up in that color order. I have knitted for years but this blanket is by far the prettiest think I have done. And it works up quickly. Thanks for sharing this great pattern! I'm making another in shades of white and blue for a baby boy on the way in our family (a great, great nephew) in August!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know single stitch and double but not half double

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks perfect for what I want. Unfortunately, I am a beginning crocheter and am wondering that it
    looks like two different pieces put together with three colors(blocks) in each piece. Am I incorrect?
    Thanks, Terri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is crocheted continuously, just changing color at the beginning of every 11th row.

      Delete
  8. This is one continuously crocheted blanket. You just change colors after 11rows of each color until done all 6 colors. If you don' t know how to change colors or do the stitch, just google it and you will get lots of places for instruction. It is a very easy blanket to make!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sweet stash buster, pretty pattern and a quick easy baby blanket. Thanks for the idea and pattern. Need to clean out my stash and this will make easy useful giveaway projects!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Half double crochet you start the same as a double crochet but then with the next yarn over you pull it straight through all three loops on your hook.
    So hdc = yo, pull up loop (3 loops on hook), yo and pull through all three loops!
    Hope it helps!

    ReplyDelete